VGA adapter with Blow Up and VGA/RGB switch

Hardware, coding, music, graphic and various applications

Moderators: Mug UK, moondog/.tSCc., [ProToS], lp, Moderator Team

Nimrod
Atariator
Atariator

Re: VGA adapter with Blow Up and VGA/RGB switch

Postby Nimrod » Sat May 06, 2017 11:07 am

Curious. Can you set a video mode on the Falcon to get the equivalent of overscan if connect to a SM124?
Might be relevant as I have a well adjusted SM124 in storage.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sat May 06, 2017 12:35 pm

using Destkop inf file you can remove border only for TV mode.
in case of VGA/SM124 you have to use BlowUP/Videlity application
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun May 07, 2017 2:44 am

Cyprian: that's what I mean. You overclock the Videl but data bus stays the same.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sun May 07, 2017 9:18 am

Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun May 07, 2017 9:50 am

Not only my page but also my articles, yes. :)

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Sun May 07, 2017 10:34 am

you mentioned there about now Videl's burst mode, 640x480xtc on VGA and slow data bus. :)

btw. very interesting articles

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sun May 07, 2017 10:19 pm

Cyprian wrote:you mentioned there about now Videl's burst mode, 640x480xtc on VGA and slow data bus. :)

Apart from very broken English the real meaning was, IIRC, that you of course can set the resolution in Videl regs but it's not working -- so I'm curious when actually Videl can process data fast enough (due to overclocking) whether the shared bus wont be killed anyway.

btw. very interesting articles

Thanks although it wouldn't be possible without articles by other authors, I'd just added some bits here and there. :)

dhedberg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dhedberg » Wed May 10, 2017 9:42 pm

Here's a short update. I have received the PCBs and assembled the first adapter and tested it. Everything work as expected. The oscillator is fitted in a socket and can be replaced easily. The adapter will come with 2 oscillators, 40MHz and 50MHz. The 40MHz oscillator may be preferred by some if you don't have an accelerated bus (Nemesis, Phantom, etc). The 50MHz oscillator will make higher resolutions possible but will put more pressure on the internal bus and is hence more suitable for Falcons with an accelerated bus. The only thing that is not mounted on the PCB is a 1uF electolytic capacitor, which I'm not sure is really needed unless the power source is of extremely poor quality. There's already a 100nF ceramic de-coupling capacitor on the PCB which will filter out most noise.

The adapter can be powered using the USB connector or the two pin AUX connector to the left of the USB connector. The power switch determines what source to draw the power from.

Finally there's a switch to toggle between VGA and RGB video ouput from the Falcon030.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dhedberg on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Daniel, New Beat - http://newbeat.atari.org

itaboy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby itaboy » Wed May 10, 2017 9:53 pm

Looks quite sexy. I confirm my interest

tin
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby tin » Wed May 10, 2017 10:17 pm

Looking great there! Also the option to switch crystals and the possible case are great additions. Looking forward to this.

Atari030
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari030 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:25 pm

Might be time to retire my ratty old SBII. Put me down for one too, Daniel. Looks good.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Thu May 11, 2017 1:37 am

I'm still in. However, when it's inserted into the Falcon and a VGA-cable connected to the switch, won't it all flex downwards?

Atari030
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari030 » Thu May 11, 2017 3:07 am

A couple of standoffs in the rear holes should fix that. Or the case, I would imagine.

dhedberg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dhedberg » Thu May 11, 2017 8:51 am

I have added you to list Atari030. Thanks!

dhedberg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dhedberg » Thu May 11, 2017 10:25 pm

I ran some more tests today and I had a vague memory of the Screenblaster software refusing to enable the external clock with the Blow-Up hardware, which proved to be correct. So this is also the case for this monitor adapter. The Screenblaster software will not work with it. I researched the subject a bit and it seems like the Screenblaster hardware involved a lot more components and used the joystick ports to communicate with the hardware. I guess to force people to buy their hardware. For me this is not a problem as I really like the Blow-Up software, but for some of you this might be a killer. Just wanted everyone to know beforehand! I do have the original Blow-Up software that has been released freely now. So I can provide a download link for that.

Some of you have asked about what resolutions that are possible to achieve. This depends on several factors; the oscillator frequency, your monitor and your patience. :-)
I run my Falcon030 in 1024*768 in 2 and 16 colors with a 50MHz oscillator. My configuration has a vertical refresh rate of about 52Hz. Of course high vertical refresh rates are not really of importance anymore if you use a flat screen monitor, which means there is no trade off between higher resolutions and "flickering". Higher resolutions are definitely possible.

Finally I also had a go with the case for the adapter. It is possible to fit the adapter in it with some work, but if you have high expectations on the result it may not be for you. See the pictures for some examples. What's left for me to do is to cut out a piece of the top in order to get access to the switches. Another possibility is to just use the bottom of the case and leave it "open". I will offer the case as an option but it will be up to you to adapt it. Another alternative is If you have access to a 3d printer, then you would probably be able to print a case with a better fit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dhedberg on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Atari030
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari030 » Fri May 12, 2017 1:02 am

Thanks Daniel, could you forward me the blowup software to play around with? In the SB software you have to specify which joystick port is being used during setup. If it doesn't detect, it won't work. It looks good.

mzry
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby mzry » Fri May 12, 2017 5:28 am

Since I use Centscreen to set my resolution, will Centscreen automatically pick up on the oscillator and show me more resolution options? Or do I need this special blowup software. Thx.

crashman
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby crashman » Fri May 12, 2017 7:41 am

Payment sent!
260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 520STFM, 1040STE, 4160STE, STACY 2, MEGA ST, MEGA ST2, MEGA ST4, MEGA STE, TT030, FALCON030, FALCON030 with Centurbo 2rB, Firebee
SH204, Megafile 30, Megafile 60, Megafile 44
SM124, SM146, SC1224, SC1435
Satandisk, Ultrasatan, HxC SD, Hxc SD Slim, NetUSBee, CosmosEX, Unicorn, Gotek HxC
2600VCS, LYNX, LYNX II, JAGUAR

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Fri May 12, 2017 9:28 am

dhedberg wrote:I do have the original Blow-Up software that has been released freely now. So I can provide a download link for that.

Yes, please. I will then need to switch to Blow-Up software and leave the Screenblaster software behind.

dhedberg wrote: I run my Falcon030 in 1024*768 in 2 and 16 colors with a 50MHz oscillator.

Does your Falcon have a bus accelerator?
I am asking since earlier you mention the differences in either using a 40 MHz or a 50 MHz oscillator.

My Falcons are all unaccelerated. Does it mean I have to use the 40 MHz oscillator? If yes, which resolutions are possible with it?

dhedberg wrote:Finally I also had a go with the case for the adapter.

I like the case!

dhedberg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dhedberg » Fri May 12, 2017 9:48 am

I will send you all a link to the Blow-Up software sometime during next week when I get back home.

One of my Falcons has a bus accelerator but the resolutions specified work on my non-accelerated Falcon as well.
The higher frequency of the oscillator, the higher resolutions you can achieve. Higher resolutions means that the video chip uses a larger share of the bus which means less time is available for the CPU/memory (general use). This will have an impact on the general performance of the computer. So there's a trade-off.
You can use either one of the oscillators with a non-accelerated Falcon, both will work. Exactly what resolutions are achievable depends on your monitor as well. I have not yet had the time to play around with the 40 MHz oscillator to see exactly what resolutions are possible with that one. My old Blow-Up hardware used a 50 MHz oscillator which is the one I've used throughout all the years. When I have the time I may switch to the 40 MHz oscillator for my non-accelerated Falcon as some people here on the Atari-Forum has said it's a better fit for non-accelerated Falcons. That's also the reason I decided to put the oscillator in a socket and include both a 40 MHz and 50 MHz oscillator. Making it possible for people to experiment and decide themselves what works best for them. I suspect it's going to be a very subjective decision.
Last edited by dhedberg on Fri May 12, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

dhedberg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dhedberg » Fri May 12, 2017 9:58 am

mzry wrote:Since I use Centscreen to set my resolution, will Centscreen automatically pick up on the oscillator and show me more resolution options? Or do I need this special blowup software. Thx.

It depends on how the Centscreen software works. I don't have access to the Centscreen software but if you can send it to me I would gladly have a look at it. Was it sold along with some hardware? If yes, there's a slight chance that it will have some kind of "identification process" which will prevent it to work with the 3-in-1 adapter (just like the Videlity and Screenblaster software).

I guess it would be possible to hack the Videlity and Screenblaster software and remove the identification process. In the end, the only thing the hardware actually does is to provide a clock signal to the right pin of the monitor connector.

dbsys
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dbsys » Fri May 12, 2017 12:13 pm

dhedberg wrote: I don't have access to the Centscreen software but if you can send it to me I would gladly have a look at it. Was it sold along with some hardware? If yes, there's a slight chance that it will have some kind of "identification process" which will prevent it to work with the 3-in-1 adapter (just like the Videlity and Screenblaster software).

You can download Centscreen 3.5.2 from here:
http://centek.online.fr/atari/softs/s_centsc.htm

Atari030
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari030 » Fri May 12, 2017 12:47 pm

Centscreen was designed for the CT2, I have been playing with it a bit lately but I have to say I consider the SBII to be the better setup. Mostly because it works well with my LCD's, but also because it isn't hard to use. I haven't had a lot of luck with centscreen

I have been wondering how many different packages there are out there. There is Blowup, Centscreen, Screenblaster, Videlity and videl inside to my knowledge. I'd love to run package across CT2, SBII/III and the new DH1 so I don't have to faf around. :D

dhedberg
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby dhedberg » Fri May 12, 2017 12:53 pm

Atari030 wrote:Centscreen was designed for the CT2, I have been playing with it a bit lately but I have to say I consider the SBII to be the better setup. Mostly because it works well with my LCD's, but also because it isn't hard to use. I haven't had a lot of luck with centscreen

I have been wondering how many different packages there are out there. There is Blowup, Centscreen, Screenblaster, Videlity and videl inside to my knowledge. I'd love to run package across CT2, SBII/III and the new DH1 so I don't have to faf around. :D

I've only really used the Blow-Up software, but if somebody would be interested in hacking the Screenblaster software (remove the code which identifies the Screenblaster hardware) to work with the Blow-Up/3-in-1 hardware that would be great. I could have a look at it but to be honest, I suffer from serious lack of time! :-(

Atari030
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari030 » Sat May 13, 2017 1:34 am

All good, Daniel. There are a lot of options out there for us.

Social Media

Return to “Professionals”